Plant-Based Pairing: Hazel Chardonnay
- Hazel Chardonnay 2020
- Chickapea - Greens Penne Pasta, 8oz
- California Olive Ranch - Keto Blend (Avocado Oil and EVOO), 16.9oz
- DeLallo - Sun-Dried Tomatoes, 6.7oz
- Redmond - Real Kosher Sea Salt
PLANT-BASED PAIRING: 2020 VEGAN WINES HAZEL CHARDONNAY RECIPE
Grape Varietals: 95% Chardonnay 5% Grenache Blanc
This Chardonnay is bursting with big flavors of toasty vanilla and creamy lemon meringue. The grapes were whole-cluster pressed and fermented in neutral French Oak bariques, where they were aged for 16 months before a single racking for bottling.
Pairs well with vegetables, butter/cream sauces, and cheese.
Winter calls for hearty, satisfying, soul-warming fare.
By early March, I begin to get excited for the return of local veggies. This pairing does a wonderful job of bridging winter to spring and serves as a reminder that warmer days are on the way.
Great meal to enjoy with guests or to have leftovers for the week. My daughter brings it for lunch chilled!
Ingredients: Serves 6-8 (Gluten-Free with GF Pasta)
- 1lb. penne pasta, or pasta of choice
- 5 cups broccoli florets about 3-4 bunches)
- 2 tosp. olive oil
- I yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 6 oz. sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, sliced into thin strips
- 6-8 oz. arugula (a few healthy handfuls)
- Sea or kosher salt and ground black pepper
For lemon basil cashew cream sauce:
- 11/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes in boiled water or soaked overnight in room temp water
- 4 cloves garlic
- lemon, juiced
- 1-2 cup(s) packed fresh basil
- I cup water + 1 cup of reserved pasta water (pasta water will be added after the sauce is processed in blender)
- 1/2 tsp. sea or kosher salt
- Soak cashews either way suggested, depending on time.
- Boil the pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, generously salt the water. Add in the pasta and cook al dente, according to package directions. About 2 minutes before the pasta is al dente, add the broccoli florets to the pot to cook with the pasta, as it finishes cooking. Reserve 1 cup of starchy pasta water before draining. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Make the lemon basil cashew cream sauce: Add all the ingredients, except reserved pasta water, to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook the veggies: Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Feel free to use the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar. Add the onion and bell pepper. Season with a sprinkle of salt and ½ tsp. ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies soften slightly, 3-4 minutes. Once softened, add the sun-dried tomatoes, cook for 1-2 minutes with the veggies, and then add the arugula to the skillet. Cook briefly, stirring occasionally, until the sun-dried tomatoes soften and the arugula wilts slightly, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta & broccoli to the skillet. Pour the lemon basil cashew cream sauce over top. Toss to combine, adding some of the reserved starchy pasta water to reach your desired consistency. I tend to put all the reserved pasta water since the sauce will continue to thicken after cooking. Taste and season additionally with salt and/or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, as desired.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Please note that the bundle does not include fresh produce, garlic, and herbs. Wine and packaged food products will arrive separately.