, is proud to be from Puerto Rico. In this series of blog posts, we want to highlight a few amazing vegan chefs from the island nation, also known as
or "the Island of Enchantment." We'll be chatting with them about how they turn traditional Puerto Rican cuisine into delicious vegan dishes.
We've asked these chefs for their favorite plant-based Puerto Rican recipes to share with all of you. And then we paired them with our wines! You'll find the links to their restaurants and services below, so if you're able, please give your support to these great vegan chefs and restaurants during this time – or on your next trip to Puerto Rico!
Karla Ortiz of bo.ka.do
Karla Ortiz is the talented chef behind bo.ka.do
, a vegan restaurant located in La Plaza del Mercado in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. Ortiz graduated from Le Cordón Bleu and she has specialized in vegan food for more than a decade. We asked her for a favorite vegan Puerto Rican dish, and she sent us her recipe for Jackfruit "Pernil" or Pernil de Jaca – you can find that below! At bo.ka.do, they create rustic dishes with international inspiration. Most of their ingredients come directly from the local Puerto Rican community, with the vast majority of their products derived from the patio, home gardens, and their colleagues in La Plaza del Mercado! You can check out bo.ka.do's menu here
. Think delicious plant-based meals, snacks, soups, mains, and desserts – like cauliflower "wings," mac and cheese balls, samosas, fried tofu, curry, ramen, Thai noodles, and more! – and they're also offering takeout and delivery. For more details visit them on Instagram
or visit Facebook
“PERNIL” DE JACA
Vegan Wines suggests pairing this dish with our 2016 Vicchiomaggio Chianti Classico Reserva! Ingredients:
- 1 lb. fresh, canned* or frozen jackfruit
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic head, unpeeled, top cut off
- 1⁄2 cup of cubanelle pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 culantro leaves, whole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 tbsp soy sauce or aminos
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Sea salt to taste if needed
- In a bowl, add jackfruit and coconut milk. Let soak for 25-30 mins. *If you are using canned jackfruit, rinse thoroughly.
- Remove from coconut milk. Set aside.
- In the bowl with coconut milk, add cumin, garlic powder, coriander, paprika, olive oil, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- On a sheet pan, place jackfruit, onion, peppers, fresh cilantro, bay, cilantro, and garlic head. Cover it with the coconut milk and spice mix.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, intermittently mixing the jackfruit and spice mix.
- Once jackfruit has soaked up all the liquid and is tender, remove from the oven. Add sea salt to taste.
- Serve as a side dish or main dish.